Monday, May 3, 2010

Honesty... take it or leave it

We have all seen those tv sitcoms where a single parent goes out on a first date with someone and then struggle with the dilemma of whether or not to share that they have a child. Just in the last couple of weeks, I watched the new show with Alyssa Milano. In the episode she is on a first date and somehow a picture of her son comes out and she panics and says it was her ex-husband. As the show progresses they try and get some laughs out of the situation, but try as they may the show is a struggle.

Now, back on track with my original thought… when I find myself in the situation where I am talking about my personal life to someone who has potential I have made the choice that I am going to disclose the fact that I am a Dad. And why wouldn’t I?

I see those shows and I get their point that some people may be frightened off by the idea of you being a single parent. I understand that some people without kids may see parenthood as an added complication to a budding relationship. Cause with that child might be an angry ex-spouse who could cause stress. Or the child might normally monopolize the time of the parent. Or, let’s face it, not everyone likes or wants children and it might be a complete write off to any relationship potential.

But I have decided that being honest about that subject is important to me. It’s important because I am and will always be proud to be William’s Daddio. I will always hold him as my number one priority, because others can come or go, but William will always be there with me. And secondly, if you are someone who can’t consider yourself dating a Dad, then really we aren’t meant to get past that first date anyway.

This also leads to the timing factor of when I would ever introduce the two… hmm… I like to think I am a good gauge of people and will be able to feel when it’s right for the two to meet. My guess is that I will keep that situation from being premature... like I'm thinking it would be a couple of months or so.   Not just anyone I meet on the dance floor will immediately meet him. Just sayin.

No comments: