Wednesday, November 4, 2009

New job pains

One thing that has plagued me at my last job, and is now rearing its ulgy head today is being in a position for a few months, and then it occurs that one job duty was never dealt with since the new person (me) took over the job.  And not only has it not been done for a few months, but damn, people need that done yesterday.

I know I should not feel any responsibility for the oversight, but indirectly it reflects on me and makes me feel incompetent.  Pair that with my supervisor emailing a coworker and asking her to pretty much drop her day to help me and no one sitting down with me to show me the basics in order to facilitate my completing the topic.  And then the kicker, it has to be done before leaving today.  I don't know if y'all remember?  I have a son, and custody that I fought hard for, so I am not keen on picking him up late.

Needless to say, I emailed the supervisor and co-worker asking for some guidence and will be working as efficiently as possible (the reason for said email) so I can get my ass out of here at 5pm and the reports will be done, so I can be back on my regular track tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I like my new job, I just want to be fully trained.  I want to know all of my basic duties, have a schedule I can reference with the due dates and get into a cyclic flow.  Then when some new analysis comes up and needs to be done right away, I know what my work load is like and can adjust in other areas to meet the need.  Also, my supervisor is a great guy and is fine with me asking questions and seems to have positive feedback for me, but I just don't like not being one of the best employees that he can rely on.  Here's hoping nothing else has been overlooked.

No comments: