Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The best part of waking up... is not Folgers in my cup

It's actually William sneaking into my bed for a snuggle.

I'm not sure what it is but for the last few weeks, when I have William over night (my access is 3 days every week on a two week rotating cycle... just in case you're wondering) I am woken up before my alarm by William crawling into bed.  He has developed this habit, which I love, of coming in to snuggle for at least half an hour before it's time to start the day.

He comes in quietly, and isn't trying to stir me, he just wants to snuggle.  I can drift in and out of sleep and he won't say a word.  He just wraps his arm around me, or if I flip over, so my morning breath doesn't kill the poor child, he'll climb over me to snuggle back in. 

I usually do wake up and we'll talk or he'll go grab his Nintendo DS and we'll play a game for a bit, before we start the day.  And everytime it happens I actively think to myself that I need to take this in.  That I need to cherish this moment, because a couple of months ago I was practically dressing him for preschool while his eyes were still closed in the mornings and because in a short period of time he'll be too big to want to snuggle with his ol' Dad.  Life is passing me by, but I'm trying to memorize the ride.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

You're definitely taking the right approach. My son used to try sneaking into bed between my husband and me for a morning cuddle. Now, at the ripe age of six, he's nudging me and asking if he can play on the Wii.

Whoooooosh!