Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I learned if from my Mama

The longer I am a single Dad, the more I respect my Mom for everything she did for my family.

Today for example, I got up got ready for work, ran to pick up some groceries at lunch and put in a full days work.  Came home, made supper, cleaned my dishes (no dishwasher here), ran to the gym, back to the grocery store to pick up eggs and bananas, that I had for gotten earlier, ran a load of laundry, cleaned up couple of rooms, took out the garbage and recycling.  And here it is 10:30 pm and I'm finally sitting down... but it's practically bedtime.  This was a day without William around.

As I sit here I think about my Mom's average day, when I was young.  She was up at least in the six o'clock hour.  She would get her two kids up and fed, get her husband up and ready and all of us out the door.  Drive us to another subdivision to our babysitters.  Some days I would beg her not to leave me there... how heartbreaking would that be?  Then she would work a full day, come home pick us up, make us supper, do the dishes, do a couple loads of laundry and run around doing other daily chores and helping us with homework.  She faithfully read us books and tucked us in at night and had a husband who was not involved in raising his kids.  And not once do I remember her complaining. 

I am just hoping that enough of that has rubbed off on me.  I try hard to maintain the household, doing most of the daily chores when I don't have William, so that our time together is just about us.  And I try not to complain.  Sure we all wish there was less work around the house to be done... but this is the part of life I think I looked forward to in some way.  The part where I build a home for William.

No comments: