Friday, January 8, 2010

Why do all good things come to an end?

Death has a strange way of making you realize your mortality. It has a way of forcing to look in the mirror and examine your past and present states and sometimes it can change your outlook on the future.

This week we laid my Grammie Spurr to rest. She was my last Grandparent and for me it was strange to realize that I now no longer have anyone from that generation that I am physically carrying a piece (DNA) of.

My Mom asked me if I wanted to say a eulogy at the funeral. I, of course, accepted because I figured it meant enough to my Mom for her to ask me to do it. But my first thought was whether or not there had been one for my Grandfather. I would have been honored to have spoken about him, but there is no way I would have been able to speak during his funeral. He’s the one person I will never get over. I choke up every time I think about it.

I sat at my Grandparent’s dining room table for a couple of days this weekend past and came up with portions of what I wanted to say but couldn’t get the flow I wanted and knew I needed to make myself proud of the thoughts I wanted to share. And then it all just became too much. I think the reality of it all set in and I couldn’t face the idea. The thought of my poor Mother sitting in the first pew as I read the eulogy was more than I knew I could handle. I ended up declining and allowing the minister to share some words about my Grandmother.

I will just say these few things about my maternal Grandmother. She was a strong willed woman who was the happiest when her family was with her. She made sure she always had molasses cookies in her pantry when I was young, and made the best home-made bread. She always wanted to look her best and hated to be late and believed a person was strongest when part of a family. She will never be forgotten.


Sidenote: I am always reminded when I am at my Grandparent’s house, whether through pictures or stories I hear, that life was very different in those few generations before mine. The family unit was strong but always had time for each other. The community supported each other and although they worked hard, life was simple and they had fun. I have said it before… I think this rat-race we find ourselves in today is all wrong.


1 comment:

Valentina said...

Re your sidenote - I couldn't agree with you more!